Being a homeowner is a difficult enough job as it is, but there's often more than meets the eye to a home when you first step inside. If you're new to homeownership or you've recently moved somewhere new, you may not realize that your new home has dangers you might not be able to see at first glance. To ensure your home is safe, we've compiled some hidden home dangers you need to know about when you get to your new place.
If the home you've moved into is more than a few decades old, the chances are high that there is asbestos inside the walls or ceilings. While asbestos insulates a house well, it is hazardous to your health. Contractors don't build houses with asbestos anymore, but if you suspect your older home might have it, call in a professional to remove it safely and correctly.
One of the more insidious home dangers you need to know about is radon gas. Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from deep inside the Earth's crust. It can seep into homes from their lowest points through cracks and breaks in the foundation. Radon is odorless, tasteless, and invisible to the naked eye. It is also the second leading cause of lung cancer in adults. When you buy a new house, you could save a lot of trouble in the future by getting a radon test and working with a radon specialist.
Another hazard of living in an older home is the threat of lead paint. Like asbestos, lead is no longer in use for many decades now because of its toxicity to humans. Older paint that contains lead can chip and fall, leading to unpleasant results should you inhale or ingest any of this lead by accident. Again, you should resist the temptation to deal with this problem yourself—hire a trained professional to remove it for you.
That musty smell coming from your new place's ductwork could indicate that you have a mold problem on your hands. If you go too long without dealing with a mold problem, it can quickly turn into a health hazard and even a structural hazard for your home. You can take care of mold growth by yourself with the right kind of cleaner, but if the mold is the result of a leaky pipe or something similar, you may need to call in a plumber to fix up your system.
Add us to your Daily Routine on Alexa. Go here to add to Alexa in the Canadian Skill Store.
Are you interested in more in-depth real estate information? Check out our podcast, available on most podcast platforms.
Do you have an Android Phone? Add our Free Podcast App Here.
Do you have an I-Phone? Here is our iOS version of the podcast app.
About the PublisherBo Kauffmann is a residential real estate agent with over 18 yrs experience in helping buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Inducted into the REMAX Hall of Fame in 2010 and receiving the REMAX Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, Bo has sold over 500 houses and condos in the Greater Winnipeg market. He is an accredited buyer representative (A.B.R.) and a Luxury Home Marketing Specialist. Bo provides exceptional service to First-Time Home-Buyers, Seniors looking to downsize and Home Sellers of all ages. He can be reached easily By E-Mail or call/text him Call/Text Here
Our Latest Web-Stories