Top Nine Winter Community Events in Winnipeg
February can be one of the bleakest months of the year in Winnipeg: the novelty of snow has worn off, the holidays are truly over, and we can still anticipate at least another couple of months of cold weather to come.
This year, embrace Winnipeg's winter months by enjoying some of these excellent events:
1) Winter Adventure Programming: January 19 – March 2. It happens every Sunday at the Forks: horse-drawn wagon rides, bannock history lessons from Aboriginal elders, art projects in teepees, and snowboarding training. There's something for everyone!
2) Dine About Winnipeg: February 1 – 11. Three-course meals available for set prices (a $28 stream and a $36 stream) are back for one of Winnipeg's most highly-anticipated dining events of the year. More than 25 restaurants are participating in this year's restaurant event, featuring a wide variety of delicious appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Reserve your table now for a wonderful culinary experience!
3) Ironman Curling Bonspiel: February 7 – 9. Getting active and fundraising for a good cause? It's a great combination! The Ironman Curling Bonspiel will see more than 50 curling teams of all skill levels engaging in friendly competition to fundraise for the Heart & Stroke Foundation. Even if curling isn't your kind of sport to play, it's sure to be entertaining to watch as the curling all takes place on the Assiniboine River.
4) Winter Walk Day: February 8. Discover the beauty of a Winnipeg winter from the pedestrian perspective and enjoy winter walking! Free hot chocolate will be served as you explore the Red River Mutual Trail.
5) Winter Cycling Congress Winnipeg: February 12 – 14. Winter cycling is no longer just for the hard-core. Learn about the basics of winter cycling, participate in great activities like Winter Bike to Work Day and A Moveable Feast, and attend sessions from national experts and professionals at Winnipeg's own Winter Cycling Congress.
6) Festival du Voyageur: February 14 – 23. Purchase your day pass ($8 – $15) or your complete 10-day pass ($10 – $28) and celebrate the French-Canadian tradition and community! From a torch light walk to an outdoor fashion show to the Governor's Ball to a jigging contest to a “living” Metis flag, Festival du Voyageur is something you don't want to miss.
7) Snow Jam at the Forks: February 15. How often do us Winnipeggers get the opportunity to snowboard? Snow Jam is Winnipeg's only urban snowboarding competition, and it's happening at the Forks! Brush up on your skills in the morning before participating in the competition in the early afternoon.
8) Manitoba Mini Sled Race: February 22. Gather up the kids for an exhilarating race! Thirty-five racers will be participating in this year's event on a variety of sleds. It's all about having a great time, enjoying Winnipeg winters, and sledding safely.
9) Winnipeg Music Festival: February 26 – March 23. Open to the public, the 96th annual Winnipeg Music Festival is a competition among musicians of all kinds: vocal, piano, pipe organ, strings, classical guitar, and eight other categories are available to participate in, including groups such as community choirs. You'll have the opportunity to listen to music of all kinds at this annual festival.
What will you do to embrace winter in Winnipeg this year?
Sagan Morrow owns an open-concept condo in Winnipeg's Exchange District and loves downtown living. She writes the blog Living Healthy in the Real World, is the Executive Director of the Food Label Movement, and is the Development Coordinator for Food Matters Manitoba. Sagan is a freelance writer and editor as well as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, and can be found at www.livinginthrealworld.net. She enjoys taking in the theatre and culture of downtown Winnipeg during her spare time.
Add us to your Daily Routine on Alexa. Go here to add to Alexa in the Canadian Skill Store.
Are you interested in more in-depth real estate information? Check out our podcast, available on most podcast platforms.
Do you have an Android Phone? Add our Free Podcast App Here.
Do you have an I-Phone? Here is our iOS version of the podcast app.
About the PublisherBo Kauffmann is a residential real estate agent with over 18 yrs experience in helping buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Inducted into the REMAX Hall of Fame in 2010 and receiving the REMAX Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, Bo has sold over 500 houses and condos in the Greater Winnipeg market. He is an accredited buyer representative (A.B.R.) and a Luxury Home Marketing Specialist. Bo provides exceptional service to First-Time Home-Buyers, Seniors looking to downsize and Home Sellers of all ages. He can be reached easily By E-Mail or call/text him Call/Text Here
Our Latest Web-Stories Never miss an episode of our real estate podcast. Install our FREE Podcast App available on iOS and Android. For your Apple Devices, click here to install our iOS App. For your Android Devices, click here to install our Android App. Check my videos on Youtube