Top 5 activities for children in downtown Winnipeg
Think that the downtown isn't the right place for your children to grow up? Think again! Downtown Winnipeg offers a wide variety of fun and safe options for children to play, learn, and have fun.
Here are just a few of the activities available for kids in downtown Winnipeg:
1) Getting active in parks. Central Park, bordering Ellice Avenue close to Portage Place, is one of Winnipeg's best-kept secrets. It is a beautiful (and very large!) urban green space with play structures, a sports field, benches, a fountain, and plenty of grassy areas. During the summer months, this park is packed with families and kids kicking around soccer balls, reading under the trees, and enjoying the sun. Smaller parks can be found hidden in downtown Winnipeg's Theatre District, and there is plenty of green space along Waterfront and Assiniboine alongside the river for the whole family to enjoy, whether it's going for walks or having a picnic.
2) Playing at the Manitoba Children's Museum (and the Forks). This is an ideal place for kids to get creative and interact with fun learning tools! Children can learn about trains, food, science and more, all through a series of play structures and toys – and there's even a summer day camp you can register them for. A hub of culture, the Forks is also perfect to expose your children to new ideas, so it's worth taking an extra hour or two to take in the culture all around the Children's Museum.
3) Exploring the Manitoba Museum Science Gallery and Planetarium. Hands-on child-friendly learning equipment covering forensic science, math, ecosystems, outer space and more are the defining features here. The Planetarium is an especially great learning device, enabling children (and parents!) to learn all about the universe. Museum sleepovers, birthday parties, and day camps can also be arranged.
4) Watching theatre at the Manitoba Theatre for Young People. It's never too early to get your children involved with the theatre. The theatre school is open for any children and youth from ages three to 19, and is a wonderful opportunity for children to use their imaginations, build confidence, and have fun learning with other kids. There are also options to get involved with puppets, musical theatre, and film. You can also take your children to the Manitoba Theatre for Young People stage performances, which include both fun adaptations of traditional fairytales and teachable moments in modern stories.
5) Learning at the Millennium Library. The Millennium Library has a Children's Services section, in which they have made available a variety of books, from nonfiction to picture books, for children of all ages. There is also a multilingual section, books in Braille, graphic novels and magazines, a computer, and DVDs. The library offers widespread programming for children and youth, from book clubs to video production to writing workshops and everything in between!
Downtown Winnipeg: not just for grow-ups anymore. What will you do with your kids this weekend?
Sagan Morrow owns an open-concept condo in Winnipeg's Exchange District and loves downtown living. She writes the blog Living Healthy in the Real World, is the Executive Director of the Food Label Movement, and is the Development Coordinator for Food Matters Manitoba. Sagan is a freelance writer and editor as well as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist. She enjoys taking in the theatre and culture of downtown Winnipeg during her spare time.
About the PublisherBo Kauffmann is a residential real estate agent with over 18 yrs experience in helping buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Inducted into the REMAX Hall of Fame in 2010 and receiving the REMAX Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, Bo has sold over 500 houses and condos in the Greater Winnipeg market. He is an accredited buyer representative (A.B.R.) and a Luxury Home Marketing Specialist. Bo provides exceptional service to First-Time Home-Buyers, Seniors looking to downsize and Home Sellers of all ages. He can be reached easily By E-Mail or call/text him Call/Text Here
Never miss an episode of our real estate podcast. Install our FREE Podcast App available on iOS and Android. For your Apple Devices, click here to install our iOS App. For your Android Devices, click here to install our Android App. Check my videos on Youtube