Top 10 places to shop in downtown Winnipeg
Downtown Winnipeg is a hotspot for summertime festivals and the area of the city that countless Winnipeggers come to work every day, but did you know that it is also ideal for shopping? Whether books, clothes, jewelry, toys, or even bikes are your weakness, you’re bound to find it in downtown Winnipeg. Here are a few of the best places to shop:
1) Tara Davis. Described on their website as being “a combination studio, boutique, gallery, and whimsical treasure hunt,” Tara Davis features jewelry, hats, baby shoes, cards, candles, and various accessories and items to add extra pizazz to your outfit or to your home. Their vintage cameo earrings are sure to have you whip out your pocketbook in no time.
2) Imagine Games & Hobbies. Let out your inner nerd! This store, located in the same building on McDermot as Tara Davis, features game tables and demo workshops, and also sells a sizable collection of favourite board games such as Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.
3) Hilary Druxman. Just a couple doors over is Hilary Druxman’s classy jewelry shop of unique and modern designs. Her handcrafted collections are gorgeous and wearable for all ages and styles. Purchasing her jewelry can be part of doing a good deed, too: Druxman works with more than 25 local organizations to donate profits of specific items that are made especially for each organization, which includes Winnipeg Harvest, the University of Winnipeg, and the Misericordia Health Centre Foundation.
4) Paper Doll Clothing. The Exchange District’s McDermot Avenue might have some of the best stores in the city: Paper Doll Clothing is also located along this street. This women’s fashion boutique features affordable items for the workplace and a night on the town.
5) Toad Hall Toys. If you are looking for a fun gift for a friend of any age, Toad Hall is the place to be! Books, games, magic tricks, cuddly toys, and more are available here. Be sure that you set aside a good hour for exploring Toad Hall – it’s difficult not to get caught up in this charming toy store.
6) The Malls. City Place on Hargrave, Portage Place, and the underground Winnipeg Square, are all excellent malls to visit if you are looking for a comprehensive grouping of the stores you know – or if you just need access to a really great drug store.
7) Into the Music. New and used, CDs and vinyl, this music store has it all. The selection is carefully organized and you can make use of any of their four listening centres before you purchase.
8) Mondragon Bookstore. The books at Mondragon range from veganism to activism to feminism to economics to social change and more. You can also check out their grocery store while you’re there and pick up any of their whole food and vegan options.
9) Red River Books. Peruse used books for $5 or $10 a piece – but be prepared to stay a while. You might have to go hunting to find the book you want under the teetering stacks, however when you find the book you’re looking for, it will be well worth it!
10) Natural CycleWorks. If you have a bicycle question or need to get a tune-up, Natural CycleWorks is hands down the best store in the city to visit. Enthusiastic and passionate staff will tell you their expert opinion and listen to what you want and need. And better still, you can get a custom bike built to your specifications starting at just $800.
Sagan Morrow owns an open-concept condo in Winnipeg’s Exchange District and loves downtown living. She writes the blog Living Healthy in the Real World, is the Executive Director of the Food Label Movement, and is the Development Coordinator for Food Matters Manitoba. Sagan is a freelance writer and editor as well as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist. She enjoys taking in the theatre and culture of downtown Winnipeg during her spare time.
Thanks for the good shopping list. I will definitely use it when I am in Vancouver. I’m especially interested in places to buy sneakers.
Thanks for sharing! I have wanted to visit Winnipeg after reading your blog and even possibly move there. As someone who loves to shop, and sometimes has to if I am in need of certain items, this was very useful to me. I am sure that others found it useful, too. Great post!
Great article. Thank you for this amazing shopping places.
Hi, thank you for sharing this blog, very beautiful. This is a really great collection of shopping him.
oh my! how did i not see this until now. thank you so much for including us in your post! i think that exchange district shopping is the best in the city and it's only getting better! thanks for encouraging people to come check out the awesome downtown shops:)
You’re welcome, Tara….
Awesome!! I enjoyed reading your commendable post. I am glad to come across such an interesting post here.
Hi, thanks for sharing this lovely blog. Really great collection of shopping places. Awaiting for more blogs like this.