Top 10 places to shop in downtown Winnipeg
Downtown Winnipeg is a hotspot for summertime festivals and the area of the city that countless Winnipeggers come to work every day, but did you know that it is also ideal for shopping? Whether books, clothes, jewelry, toys, or even bikes are your weakness, you're bound to find it in downtown Winnipeg. Here are a few of the best places to shop:
1) Tara Davis. Described on their website as being “a combination studio, boutique, gallery, and whimsical treasure hunt,” Tara Davis features jewelry, hats, baby shoes, cards, candles, and various accessories and items to add extra pizazz to your outfit or to your home. Their vintage cameo earrings are sure to have you whip out your pocketbook in no time.
2) Imagine Games & Hobbies. Let out your inner nerd! This store, located in the same building on McDermot as Tara Davis, features game tables and demo workshops, and also sells a sizable collection of favourite board games such as Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.
3) Hilary Druxman. Just a couple doors over is Hilary Druxman's classy jewelry shop of unique and modern designs. Her handcrafted collections are gorgeous and wearable for all ages and styles. Purchasing her jewelry can be part of doing a good deed, too: Druxman works with more than 25 local organizations to donate profits of specific items that are made especially for each organization, which includes Winnipeg Harvest, the University of Winnipeg, and the Misericordia Health Centre Foundation.
4) Paper Doll Clothing. The Exchange District's McDermot Avenue might have some of the best stores in the city: Paper Doll Clothing is also located along this street. This women's fashion boutique features affordable items for the workplace and a night on the town.
5) Toad Hall Toys. If you are looking for a fun gift for a friend of any age, Toad Hall is the place to be! Books, games, magic tricks, cuddly toys, and more are available here. Be sure that you set aside a good hour for exploring Toad Hall – it's difficult not to get caught up in this charming toy store.
6) The Malls. City Place on Hargrave, Portage Place, and the underground Winnipeg Square, are all excellent malls to visit if you are looking for a comprehensive grouping of the stores you know – or if you just need access to a really great drug store.
7) Into the Music. New and used, CDs and vinyl, this music store has it all. The selection is carefully organized and you can make use of any of their four listening centres before you purchase.
8) Mondragon Bookstore. The books at Mondragon range from veganism to activism to feminism to economics to social change and more. You can also check out their grocery store while you're there and pick up any of their whole food and vegan options.
9) Red River Books. Peruse used books for $5 or $10 a piece – but be prepared to stay a while. You might have to go hunting to find the book you want under the teetering stacks, however when you find the book you're looking for, it will be well worth it!
10) Natural CycleWorks. If you have a bicycle question or need to get a tune-up, Natural CycleWorks is hands down the best store in the city to visit. Enthusiastic and passionate staff will tell you their expert opinion and listen to what you want and need. And better still, you can get a custom bike built to your specifications starting at just $800.
Sagan Morrow owns an open-concept condo in Winnipeg's Exchange District and loves downtown living. She writes the blog Living Healthy in the Real World, is the Executive Director of the Food Label Movement, and is the Development Coordinator for Food Matters Manitoba. Sagan is a freelance writer and editor as well as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist. She enjoys taking in the theatre and culture of downtown Winnipeg during her spare time.
Add us to your Daily Routine on Alexa. Go here to add to Alexa in the Canadian Skill Store.
Are you interested in more in-depth real estate information? Check out our podcast, available on most podcast platforms.
Do you have an Android Phone? Add our Free Podcast App Here.
Do you have an I-Phone? Here is our iOS version of the podcast app.
About the PublisherBo Kauffmann is a residential real estate agent with over 18 yrs experience in helping buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Inducted into the REMAX Hall of Fame in 2010 and receiving the REMAX Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, Bo has sold over 500 houses and condos in the Greater Winnipeg market. He is an accredited buyer representative (A.B.R.) and a Luxury Home Marketing Specialist. Bo provides exceptional service to First-Time Home-Buyers, Seniors looking to downsize and Home Sellers of all ages. He can be reached easily By E-Mail or call/text him Call/Text Here
Our Latest Web-Stories Never miss an episode of our real estate podcast. Install our FREE Podcast App available on iOS and Android. For your Apple Devices, click here to install our iOS App. For your Android Devices, click here to install our Android App. Check my videos on Youtube