5 steps for fireplace safety
During crisp, cold evenings, a warm blanket and well-equipped fireplace are all you need for a cozy night in.
However, a fireplace brings more than comfort. According to Fire Prevention Canada, fire kills over 400 people a year nationwide with residential fires causing 73% of those deaths. With winter in a deep freeze, it's important to be aware of fire prevention and what your insurance policy offers.
“Fireplaces create a nice setting for homeowners to relax with loved ones,” says Wayne Ross, insurance expert at Aviva Canada. “Unfortunately, they can also add to serious fire risks, but taking simple measures can help avoid traumatic situations.”
Ross offers the following pointers to ensure that your fireplace remains a place of enjoyment in your home:
1. Get it ready: To avoid fire and smoke damage make sure that the damper opens and closes properly. If your chimney hasn't been cleaned in a while, call a chimney sweeper.
2. Remove flammable materials: Clear the area next to your fireplace of all flammable items including newspapers, carpets and fabrics. Even a small spark of fire can quickly spiral out of control.
3. Stay equipped: Install smoke detectors throughout your home. Time is of the essence when dealing with fires and a smoke detector can help avoid major disasters.
4. Fireplace accessories: Invest in a few tending tools. These can be used to rotate logs, ensure oxygen flow and clean up ashes-small steps that go a long way in fire prevention.
5. Check your insurance policy: Know your insurer's guidelines and coverage so there are no surprises if you need to file a claim for damage. For example, many companies only cover fire damage if fireplaces are installed professionally.
Following these simple tips will ensure that your fireplace only leaves your family with pleasant memories this season.
Courtesy of Newscanada
Add us to your Daily Routine on Alexa. Go here to add to Alexa in the Canadian Skill Store.
Are you interested in more in-depth real estate information? Check out our podcast, available on most podcast platforms.
Do you have an Android Phone? Add our Free Podcast App Here.
Do you have an I-Phone? Here is our iOS version of the podcast app.
About the PublisherBo Kauffmann is a residential real estate agent with over 18 yrs experience in helping buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Inducted into the REMAX Hall of Fame in 2010 and receiving the REMAX Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019, Bo has sold over 500 houses and condos in the Greater Winnipeg market. He is an accredited buyer representative (A.B.R.) and a Luxury Home Marketing Specialist. Bo provides exceptional service to First-Time Home-Buyers, Seniors looking to downsize and Home Sellers of all ages. He can be reached easily By E-Mail or call/text him Call/Text Here
Our Latest Web-Stories Never miss an episode of our real estate podcast. Install our FREE Podcast App available on iOS and Android. For your Apple Devices, click here to install our iOS App. For your Android Devices, click here to install our Android App. Check my videos on Youtube